West African Vegan Sweet Potato Seed Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- sea salt
- cayenne, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium yams or sweet potatoes, washed and cubed
- 1 14.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup smooth sunflower seed butter
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or pressure cooker over medium high heat.
- Cook onion and carrots until tender and lightly browned.
- Add garlic, salt and spices. Cook until fragrant.
- Stir in vegetable stock and yams or sweet potatoes.
- Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes until yams or sweet potatoes are tender. If you have a pressure cooker it takes about 15 minutes.
- Add. tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes and return to a simmer.
- Stir in sunflower seed butter.
- Using a high speed blender, blend until smooth.
- Taste and add salt to taste. Garnish with sunflower seeds.